The Victoria Fleet held its socially distanced Fleet Championship on September 19-20. On Saturday, the fleet enjoyed a 5-7 kt S breeze that shifted through the day towards the SW. Sunday offered a lighter ESE wind with fog to obscure the weather mark in the first two races. A new experience for this 2.4 fleet! When turning downwind from the weather mark, it was the same problem: where is the leeward mark? Well…..just picked an appropriate wind angle, set the jib and soon the start boat came into view.
Fleet members’ comments described the weekend very nicely, so here are a few of them.
From Mark Brown – Great Regatta, 10 challenging races, nobody “walked away” with the races, a competitive fleet, and no collisions or protests. Hard to best that outcome. We are lucky to have such competent and generous members of our fleet and club.
From Bob Britten – What a super way to wind up our summer of sailing!
To say that the conditions were challenging is an understatement – by the end of several races I felt “brain dead” – but overall I had a super time! Simply fantastic one-design racing! Thanks very muchto Bruce Millar and Louise Anstey for organizing the weekend and, of course, to Kirk Palmer, Dave Richardson, Ken Pohl and Tim Knight for giving up their weekend so that we could have fun during ours!
To summarize the event, Doug Bell writes: Such a pleasure to sail in our fleet. Competitive but friendly, respectful, helpful and fun.
Final result: 1st Bruce Millar, 2nd Louise Anstey, 3rd Bob Britten winning a tie breaker over Doug Bell
A working manual bilge pump is an essential safety item on a 2.4mR but it is surprising how a little piece of debris can make it non operational. I put in a new manual pump in my older 2.4 last week and thought everything would be fine even though my electric pump was having issues. Dial forward to Sunday. A perfect sunny day for sailing with winds 10 to 12 knots and gusts up to maybe 15 knots.
The pump worked well for the first hour or so. I would pump the boat dry on the runs and then take a little water from the waves going up wind. Then the pump stopped working. I took a few waves and the water was over the floor board. I thought it was prudent to get back to the dock before I really filled up the boat.
Back at the dock we lifted the boat onto its cradle and then I removed the pump to take it to my work bench for disassembly and inspection. The culprit as can be seen in the photo was a very small piece of line which got trapped in the check valve of the pump and wouldn’t let the pump diaphragm do its job. The DIY solution was to go to the dollar store and buy a $1.50 small kitchen strainer and sabotage it to make a strainer for the end of the hose. Pump with strainer is now reinstalled on the boat. The electric bilge pump is repaired too.
I will be insetting strainers on the other 2.4’s in our fleet. Moral of the story. Keep a clean bilge.