Updated 2.4 Racing Schedule at NYC

See updated 2.4 racing schedule at NYC.
 
Due to popular demand, we are adding some racing dates to the 2.4 schedule. Also, please note updates to past scheduled regattas
 
July 25 – Sat 
10am at NYC – 11am on the water
Non-sanctioned racing – 6-8 races per day – no fees 
 
Aug 8 – Sat 
10am at NYC – 11am on the water
Non-sanctioned racing – 6-8 races per day – no fees 
 
Aug 15-16 – TSCC Mayfarer NA / 2.4mR Regatta – CANCELLED 
 
Aug 22-23  – 2.4 Great Lakes Regatta
10am at NYC – 11am on the water
Non-sanctioned racing – 6-8 races per day – $20 includes BBQ & beer Sat aft.
 
Sept 5 – Sat  
10am at NYC – 11am on the water
Non-sanctioned racing – 6-8 races per day – no fees 
 
Sept 19-20 – 2.4 Canadians
Pending Covid Emergency restrictions – under consideration
 
Please update your calendars with the above events. 
 
I will follow up with another email in a couple of weeks providing an update on the pending Canadian Championship. 
 
See you on the water,
Darrell 

NYC 2.4 Racing alive and well

2.4 Sailors,
 
Due to the COVID-19, and subsequent border restrictions, we have cancelled the 2.4 CanAm North Series for 2020.  
 
In the meantime, the following scheduled 2.4 racing is still on albeit in a revised manner. Two regattas are still on pending the lifting of restrictions later this summer. See below for schedule and details.  
 
June 27-28 – 2.4 Kick-off
10am at NYC – 11am on the water
Non-sanctioned racing – 6-8 races per day – no fees – BYOB  
 
July 11-12 – The National Event
10am at NYC – 11am on the water
Non-sanctioned racing – 6-8 races per day – no fees – BYOB  
 
Aug 15-16 – TSCC Mayfarer NA / 2.4mR Regatta
Pending COVID-19 Emergency Restrictions – stay tuned
 
Aug 22-23  – 2.4 Great Lakes Regatta
10am at NYC – 11am on the water
Non-sanctioned racing – 6-8 races per day – $20 includes BBQ & beer
 
Sept 19-20 – 2.4 Canadians
Pending COVID-19 Emergency Restrictions – stay tuned.
 
 
A big invite to any out-of-towners that would like to join us. You are always welcome to join us at NYC for some fantastic 2.4 racing (email prior to coming)
 
See you on the water,
Darrell Suderman 

2.4mR World Championship Regatta 2020 – Notice of Cancellation

Organizers of the 2.4 Metre World Championship Regatta, presented by Davis Island Yacht Club, regret to announce the cancellation of the 2020 event, originally scheduled for November 7-13. This difficult decision has been made in line with health and safety recommendations taken by the Government of the U.S. in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Davis Island Yacht Club is happy to report that in conjunction with help from the Royal Brighton YC and the International 2.4mR Class executive we are working on a new bid document to hold the World Championships in November 2022.

We have made the inevitable decision to cancel the worlds in light of the uncertainty inherent in this pandemic. We have spent the last few months assessing this evolving situation and at all possibilities of rescheduling this event in late 2020 or early 2021 but this proved unworkable. We’d like to take this opportunity to thank our Club Leadership, Membership, and of course, the 2.4 Meter class and Members. We look forward to welcoming our local, regional, national and international sailors, their families and friends in November 2022 to race in the Worlds at DIYC.

Regatta organizers, the USA 2.4 Meter Class, and the Commodore and the Board of Directors of Davis Island Yacht Club encourages everyone to stay safe and minimize risk by following public health mandates during this global health crisis.

Updates will be published on our Facebook page and official website as information becomes available.

World Championship 2020 Cancellation

Hi All
 
We have been in contact with the organisers in Florida about the forthcoming International 2.4mR World Championships and the Para World Championships which were due to be held later this year. The decision has been made that there are many factors in the Covid 19 times we live in that to hold the championships would not be practical.
Their decision to cancel is well in advance of the date which will hopefully mean that there will not be any negative aspects other than disappointment to those intending to have entered.
 
Obviously we are disappointed not to take our Class to the USA and the EC are making efforts towards another date with the organisers.
 
Our acceptance of the Worlds in Tonsberg, Norway in 2021 remains in place and one that we can look forward to bringing 2.4 sailing back onto the World stage.
 
Please advise your members of the cancellation and the EC will advise you of any further decisions soonest.
 
Our 2020 AGM can no longer be held and the EC is exploring the possibility of holding this as an electronic meeting, again advice on that will be posted soonest.
 
Best wishes and remain safe
Steve
President International 2.4mR Class Association 

2020 CanAm Finale – CANCELLED

The CanAm Finale has been cancelled.
 
Martin will be sending out an email soon

The boats are fine to stay at the club until border restrictions are lifted.

If restrictions do not lift, I will move the boats to my yard and hold them there until we figure out travel details.

Today I am starting the process of packing up those boats that were not going North this summer to bring to my yard for storage.

Contact me directly for any questions concerns
 
Tony Pocklington
[at][dot]

RVYC 2.4mR Fleet

2.4mR Sailboats at Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Victoria 2.4 Fleet waiting out the COVID crisis on a beautiful spring day.  We look forward to the time when we all can climb into our boats to go sailing together! But when? Although the number of new cases is declining in BC, we expect it will be many weeks before health authorities give us more freedom to socialize. 

Stay safe everyone,
Louise Anstey

President’s Report – April 2020

With the COVID-19 Pandemic, these are challenging times.  We are in a situation none of us have experienced before. Our final CanAm Winter Series regatta is currently postponed to April 24-26, but that seems more and more improbable with the news coming out of the United States.

On a positive note, the Victoria sailors are still getting out on the water for Wednesday afternoon sails under quite restrictive protocols. Social distancing, wiping the hoist controls, and giving room at marks and on the starting line are some of the procedures they have put in place. In the mean time, the Royal Victoria’s spring regatta scheduled for May 2 & 3 has been cancelled.  

Our 2020 CanAm North Series being sailed out of National Yacht Club in Toronto is still scheduled, starting with the first regatta June 27 & 28th and continuing with weekend regattas in July, August, and September.

The C. Thomas Clagett Regatta, normally sailed in late June in Newport, Rhode Island, has been rescheduled for Sept 1 – 6 at Sail Newport. This is an important regatta with excellent coaching and I will be attending for the ninth year. Newport is a very special place to sail and with the strong regatta organization it is an event not to be missed. You can get all the information regarding the event at www.clagettregatta.org .

I would encourage anyone thinking about going to the 2.4mR Worlds at Davis Island, Tampa Florida November 7 to 13th to register early in order to show your support. You can register now and pay the entry fee at a later date. This will help the organizers with their planning and give them positive feedback in these times of uncertainty. The website for registering is listed on the class website under events.

Dues     The Membership year for the Canadian 2.4mR Class Association is April 1 – March 31. To date, ten members have paid their 2020 membership dues. Memberships can be renewed on the class website and we will be reaching out directly to boat owners who have not paid their dues. The dues support the activities of the class both from the Canadian and International perspective.

Peter Wood
President

CAN 14

Construction of a Cold Molded 2.4mR is Underway

You may be interested in following the construction of a new cold molded 2.4 in your town. Could this be a Canadian first?

A little background: when David was encouraging many to become a 2.4’er I did some Internet searching and found that Hesse Malmonsen’s website which includes plans for cold molded and, yes, stitch and glue 2.4 designs going by the name of Stradivari. Cutting to the chase, I have a neighbour who is a wood boat craftsman and he has agreed to build a cold molded Stradivari Mk IV. His business is called Nomad Boat Building and he has decided to run a Youtube video series on the adventure that has got underway. Here is the link to the first two Youtube videos:

(at this time there is only Mark’s 1/4 scale half hull, but as the project progresses I can likely arrange a project visit during the construction, and of course after we are allowed to return to social gathering)

You are welcome to share this with friends you may know, even other 2.4mRers beyond Cadboro Bay!

Mark