NYC 2.4 Racing alive and well

2.4 Sailors,
Due to the COVID-19, and subsequent border restrictions, we have cancelled the 2.4 CanAm North Series for 2020.  
In the meantime, the following scheduled 2.4 racing is still on albeit in a revised manner. Two regattas are still on pending the lifting of restrictions later this summer. See below for schedule and details.  
June 27-28 – 2.4 Kick-off
10am at NYC – 11am on the water
Non-sanctioned racing – 6-8 races per day – no fees – BYOB  
July 11-12 – The National Event
10am at NYC – 11am on the water
Non-sanctioned racing – 6-8 races per day – no fees – BYOB  
Aug 15-16 – TSCC Mayfarer NA / 2.4mR Regatta
Pending COVID-19 Emergency Restrictions – stay tuned
Aug 22-23  – 2.4 Great Lakes Regatta
10am at NYC – 11am on the water
Non-sanctioned racing – 6-8 races per day – $20 includes BBQ & beer
Sept 19-20 – 2.4 Canadians
Pending COVID-19 Emergency Restrictions – stay tuned.
A big invite to any out-of-towners that would like to join us. You are always welcome to join us at NYC for some fantastic 2.4 racing (email prior to coming)
See you on the water,
Darrell Suderman 

Sailing Schedule Spring – Autumn 2020

 Sailing Schedule

Spring – Autumn 2020

Spring Dinghy Championship


May 2 - 3, 2020


Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Victoria, BC
+TSCC IcebreakerMay 16 - 17, 2020National Yacht Club

Toronto, ON
Inter-Fleet Regatta
We host and provide our boats


If conditions allow, we would like to hold the event in the Fall.
June 20, 2020


Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Victoria, BC
2.4 Kick-off
June 27 - 28, 2020National Yacht Club

Toronto, ON
The National EventJuly 11 - 12, 2020National Yacht Club

Toronto, ON
Travemünder Woche

2.4mR European Championship 2020


July 20 - 27 2020

July 22 - 25, 2020


Travemünde, Germany
Independence CupJuly 23 - 26 2020Chicago Yacht Club,
Burnham Harbor

Chicago, IL
+TSCC Wayfarer NA / 2.4mR Regatta

Pending COVID-19 Emergency Restrictions - stay tuned
August 15 - 16, 2020National Yacht Club

Toronto, ON
2.4 Great Lakes RegattaAugust 22 - 23, 2020National Yacht Club

Toronto, ON
C. Thomas Clagett, Jr. Memorial Clinic and Regatta


September 1 - 6, 2020


Sail Newport

Newport, RI
+Canadian 2.4mR Championship 2020

Pending COVID-19 Emergency Restrictions - stay tuned
September 18 - 20, 2020National Yacht Club

Toronto, ON
2.4mR Pacific Coast & Fleet ChampsSeptember 19 - 20, 2020Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Victoria, BC
Fall Dinghy Championship
September 26 - 27, 2020Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Victoria, BC
2.4mR World Championship 2020


November 7 - 13, 2020


Davis Island Yacht Club

Davis Island, FL

+ Subject to COVID-19 Emergency Restrictions 

Notices of Race and Results are linked above, where available.

Please also consult the Calendar

2.4mR World Championship Regatta 2020 – Notice of Cancellation

Organizers of the 2.4 Metre World Championship Regatta, presented by Davis Island Yacht Club, regret to announce the cancellation of the 2020 event, originally scheduled for November 7-13. This difficult decision has been made in line with health and safety recommendations taken by the Government of the U.S. in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Davis Island Yacht Club is happy to report that in conjunction with help from the Royal Brighton YC and the International 2.4mR Class executive we are working on a new bid document to hold the World Championships in November 2022.

We have made the inevitable decision to cancel the worlds in light of the uncertainty inherent in this pandemic. We have spent the last few months assessing this evolving situation and at all possibilities of rescheduling this event in late 2020 or early 2021 but this proved unworkable. We’d like to take this opportunity to thank our Club Leadership, Membership, and of course, the 2.4 Meter class and Members. We look forward to welcoming our local, regional, national and international sailors, their families and friends in November 2022 to race in the Worlds at DIYC.

Regatta organizers, the USA 2.4 Meter Class, and the Commodore and the Board of Directors of Davis Island Yacht Club encourages everyone to stay safe and minimize risk by following public health mandates during this global health crisis.

Updates will be published on our Facebook page and official website as information becomes available.

World Championship 2020 Cancellation

Hi All
We have been in contact with the organisers in Florida about the forthcoming International 2.4mR World Championships and the Para World Championships which were due to be held later this year. The decision has been made that there are many factors in the Covid 19 times we live in that to hold the championships would not be practical.
Their decision to cancel is well in advance of the date which will hopefully mean that there will not be any negative aspects other than disappointment to those intending to have entered.
Obviously we are disappointed not to take our Class to the USA and the EC are making efforts towards another date with the organisers.
Our acceptance of the Worlds in Tonsberg, Norway in 2021 remains in place and one that we can look forward to bringing 2.4 sailing back onto the World stage.
Please advise your members of the cancellation and the EC will advise you of any further decisions soonest.
Our 2020 AGM can no longer be held and the EC is exploring the possibility of holding this as an electronic meeting, again advice on that will be posted soonest.
Best wishes and remain safe
President International 2.4mR Class Association 

2020 CanAm Finale – CANCELLED

The CanAm Finale has been cancelled.
Martin will be sending out an email soon

The boats are fine to stay at the club until border restrictions are lifted.

If restrictions do not lift, I will move the boats to my yard and hold them there until we figure out travel details.

Today I am starting the process of packing up those boats that were not going North this summer to bring to my yard for storage.

Contact me directly for any questions concerns
Tony Pocklington

Sail repairs you can make at home

Sail Care and Repairs

As we  all enter another three weeks of lock-down we thought that we would share some of our experience so that you can use some of your time to making sure you are prepared for a return to the water.

Today our focus is on making sure your sails are in perfect racing condition, in this mailer we will show and advise how to look after and repair your sails whilst you are unable to travel to a professional sailmaker.

Sails are the engine of your boat, so it is important that you look after them (which will avoid premature damage) and know how to repair when necessary.
Remember, our shop maybe closed but  mail-mailorder is still operating!
  • Cleaning: DO NOT USE hot water to wash the sails, just warm. Never use strong detergents, just household soap to sponge away the marks. The best way to remove oil is to use triclothylene or Swarfega. Sails can be kept in tip-top condition by removing stains and dirt as they collect.
  • Repairs: For any sizeable sail repair you are always going to be best going back to your sailmaker, but like the situation we find ourselves in sometimes there is not the time, opportunity or money available.

Continue reading “Sail repairs you can make at home”

RVYC 2.4mR Fleet

2.4mR Sailboats at Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Victoria 2.4 Fleet waiting out the COVID crisis on a beautiful spring day.  We look forward to the time when we all can climb into our boats to go sailing together! But when? Although the number of new cases is declining in BC, we expect it will be many weeks before health authorities give us more freedom to socialize. 

Stay safe everyone,
Louise Anstey

President’s Report – April 2020

With the COVID-19 Pandemic, these are challenging times.  We are in a situation none of us have experienced before. Our final CanAm Winter Series regatta is currently postponed to April 24-26, but that seems more and more improbable with the news coming out of the United States.

On a positive note, the Victoria sailors are still getting out on the water for Wednesday afternoon sails under quite restrictive protocols. Social distancing, wiping the hoist controls, and giving room at marks and on the starting line are some of the procedures they have put in place. In the mean time, the Royal Victoria’s spring regatta scheduled for May 2 & 3 has been cancelled.  

Our 2020 CanAm North Series being sailed out of National Yacht Club in Toronto is still scheduled, starting with the first regatta June 27 & 28th and continuing with weekend regattas in July, August, and September.

The C. Thomas Clagett Regatta, normally sailed in late June in Newport, Rhode Island, has been rescheduled for Sept 1 – 6 at Sail Newport. This is an important regatta with excellent coaching and I will be attending for the ninth year. Newport is a very special place to sail and with the strong regatta organization it is an event not to be missed. You can get all the information regarding the event at .

I would encourage anyone thinking about going to the 2.4mR Worlds at Davis Island, Tampa Florida November 7 to 13th to register early in order to show your support. You can register now and pay the entry fee at a later date. This will help the organizers with their planning and give them positive feedback in these times of uncertainty. The website for registering is listed on the class website under events.

Dues     The Membership year for the Canadian 2.4mR Class Association is April 1 – March 31. To date, ten members have paid their 2020 membership dues. Memberships can be renewed on the class website and we will be reaching out directly to boat owners who have not paid their dues. The dues support the activities of the class both from the Canadian and International perspective.

Peter Wood

CAN 14